Are you thinking of visiting sunny Crete with your little ones? Here’s everything you need to know.
There’s a real sense of adventure to Crete. Unlike some more popular family destinations, Crete has managed to avoid becoming too ‘touristy’ – maintain it’s rustic charm and authentic local flair.
So if you’re planning a family holiday to Crete, you’ve made a great choice. Being the largest and most populous of the Greek islands, Crete is known for its friendly and warm atmosphere, making it a fantastic destination for any toddler friendly holiday.
To help you make the most of your travels, the family holiday experts at Totstoo are here to tell you everything you need to know about vacationing in Crete. Let’s take a look.
Best Areas for Toddler-Friendly Holidays
There are endless locations throughout Crete which are fantastic for family holidays, but some of the most popular include:
- Iraklio: Iraklio City is a fantastic highlight for little ones, boasting some of the best kid-friendly museums and attractions in Crete.
- West and South Hania: The idyllic area is perfect for active families, boasting glorious mountains and picturesque beaches.
- Eastern Lasithi: You’ll find fantastic ancient ruins in this region which are great for sparking big imaginations.
- Rethymno: From the famous Venetian fortress to the stunning promenade, there is plenty here for kids.
Eating Out in Crete
There are loads of options for dining out on Crete, and many of them are kid friendly. Greek tavernas are particularly great for families, featuring many classic Greek dishes which your kids could easily fall in love with, including:
- Calamari (fried squid)
- Tiropitakia (cheese parcels in filo pastry)
- Saganaki (fried cheese)
- Dolmadhes (flavoured rice wrapped in vine leaves)
Nuts and dairy are present in many common Cretan dishes, so be sure to communicate any allergies clearly with restaurant staff.
As an island, Crete has many fantastic beaches to choose from, including white sand paradises and hidden pebbled coves. Some of the most popular include:
- Elafonisi: This is the perfect spot for fun-filled bathing in tiny lagoons, with beautiful surroundings.
- Vaï: This is a great spot if you’re looking for somewhere more private. It’s a palm tree paradise that’s particularly quiet outside of August.
- Kato Gouves: For little explorers, this beach has plenty of clear water and rock pools.
- Bali: This beach is made up by a series of accessible coves with all the services you need.
- Paleohora: Here you’ll find a choice of two town beaches with safe bathing.
Aside from mountain walks, there are plenty of options when it comes to outdoor activities that the whole family can enjoy, including:
- Hiking: There are plenty of short sections and easy gorges like Agia Irini and Zakros
- Boat trips: Family fun boat trips are available across the island, especially the south coast
- Caving: Spots like Dikteon Dave on the Lasithi Plateau or Skotino Cave near Hersonisos are great for something more active
- Horse riding: Kid-friendly horse riding is available at Avdou, below the Lasithi Plateau
From museums to water parks, there are plenty of other activities to enjoy together in Crete too. Let’s take a look at some of the most popular:
- Natural History Museum: Located in Iraklio, this is the perfect place for imagination and learning
- Agora: Hania’s daily market is a great place to soak up culture
- Water City: South east of Iraklio is this fun water park at Anopoli, perfect for tiring the kids out
- Aqua World: Your little ones will come face to face with rescued snakes, lizards and turtles at this super scaly spot in Hersonisos
- Cretaquarium: This is a great chance to get up close and personal with stunning sea creatures