the world's smartest travel social network
In a gala ceremony held at Passenger Terminal EXPO in Vienna, the World Airport Awards were announced by SKYTRAX. These are most coveted awards for the airport industry, and this was underlined by a record attendance at the ceremony for airports and airport hotels from across the globe. Take a tour around the Awards website to find out which airports have been named as the world's Best!
The World Airport Awards™ are the most prestigious recognition of quality for airports across the world, based on the annual SKYTRAX airport customer survey, covering 388 airports. The Awards are the global benchmark of airport excellence and Quality ranking, and are fully guaranteed for total independence.
Changi Airport in Singapore is a shoppers dream
Many travelers believe that Amsterdam's Schiphol is the greatest airport experience
1) Incheon International Airport was voted number one airport in the world.
2) Singapore's Changi Airport a favorite among many travelers finished number two, sparking quite an argument.
3) Hong Kong International Airport finishing in third place was another constant perennial favorite among travelers.
4) Amsterdam’s Schiphol Airport was voted the fourth best airport in the world and the first outside of Asia, number one in Europe.
5) Beijing's Capital International Airport was voted fifth best airport in the world, and once again brought the world's favorite airports back to Asia.
6) Munich Airport, a past winner of number one airport in Europe was voted sixth best world airport.
7) Zurich Airport, was the third European airport voted into the top ten and came in at number seven over all.
8) Kuala Lumpur International Airport, voted number eight best airport in the world, has been rising in the rankings for the past five years.
9) Vancouver International Airport, at number nine, broke the strong-hold of Asia and Europe, and is the only airport outside of Asia and Europe to finish in the top ten.
10) Central Japan International Airport was voted number ten, rounding out the top ten.
Vancouver Airport - Offers excellent on time flights and non crowded terminals (Photo Courtesy of Johnny-Jet)
Regal Airport Hotel in Hong Kong
Other airport awards:
London Heathrow Airport wins the World's Best Airport Terminal award for Terminal 5, LHR , Delhi International Airport receives the award for the World's Most Improved Airport, London Stansted Airport receives the Best low-cost Airport Award, World's Best Airport Hotel - Regal Airport Hotel, Hong Kong
Best Airline Terminal - London Heathrow Terminal 5
Perhaps not so surprising was the fact that not a single U.S. Airport cracked the top ten. Also left off the top ten were airports in Australia, New Zealand, Central and South America and Africa.
Other winners in their respective regions were: Barcelona, Copenhagen, Panama, Lima, Cape Town, Auckland, Delhi, Dubai, Doha, Hamburg, Melbourne, Sao Paulo, just to name of the winning airports in categories such as airport staff, airport hotel, and airport dining experience. Airports was rated on immigration service, cleanliness, baggage delivery, service,
A surprise winner was the award for the best airport dining experience, in the past, Singapore’s Changi was the yearly winner, but this year, Hong Kong International airport is the winner.
Number one voted airport in the United States was Cincinnati International followed by San Francisco International Airport.
Incheon International Airport was voted by number one airport in the world
Can't get enough of aviation, airlines, and airports?
For a chance to see the presentation live: visit the Passenger Terminal Expo, April 9-11, 2013 in Geneva, Switzerland.
About Nick Kontis:
Nick is the founder of World Travel List. Nick has traveled to over 80 countries and created the first discount around the world airfare travel agency in the United States. Nick as being on the great Arthur Frommer's television show, and has been featured in other travel media.