Quick recap of historical events in the year 1867: Nebraska became the 37th state. The U.S. purchased Alaska from Russia – for just 2 cents an acre! Jesse James robbed a whole bunch of banks.
And a little farther south, deep in the Caribbean, the RMS Rhone wrecked off the coast of the British Virgin Islands.
October 27 marks the 150th anniversary of this notable shipwreck, which was reborn as a stunning dive site and national park in 1980. The BVI has assembled a number of celebrations and special offers to honor the anniversary. Scuba divers and snorkelers alike will cherish their time exploring the important site.
- Jost Van Dyke Scuba
- Take advantage of a $550 private dive boat special for the entire months of September and October to commemorate the anniversary. Price includes private boat for up to four divers with two instructed guides on the Rhone, as well as full equipment, snacks, refreshments and a special gift for each diver. Additional divers cost just $99 each.
- Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sail Caribbean Divers
- Sail Caribbean is offering a special two tank morning dive on the RMS Rhone on Oct. 28, plus lunch at the Cooper Island Beach Club. This offer includes lunch, a souvenir shot glass and a 16 oz “Rhone Wrecker” beer, which will be launched that weekend! Register for the special price of $160 per diver, or $80 per snorkeler.
- Contact: email@example.com
- Sunchaser Scuba
- Experience the Rhone on this anniversary excursion with Bitter End Yacht Club. This is a full day adventure ($160 for divers, $110 for snorkelers) that includes a Rhone snorkel/dive, followed by lunch on board the Corinthian and a stroll on Salt Island. Finish the afternoon with a snorkel/dive in the Dog Islands!
- Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Blue Water Divers
- Come dive the Rhone and receive a 20% discount at the Nanny Cay Hotel & Marine for the week of the Rhone’s anniversary, and 10% off Rhone t-shirts.
- Contact: email@example.com